By Daniel H. Moss, Attorney
In this article, I want to share some advice with you that I believe will keep us on paths to happiness as we go through life.
- Life can be stressful, but how you handle that stress is important. Don’t dwell on the negative; be in the present moment and enjoy the positive each day.
- You are not your age. Don’t let a number drag you down. Stay lively and vivacious as you move forward in life.
- Enjoy your money. Don’t put yourself in debt unnecessarily or spend frivolously, but enjoy the fruits of your labor. If you want something and can afford it, go for it. Don’t feel guilty if you spend money on yourself. You’ve earned it.
- Stay active. Exercise in moderation, get enough sleep, eat well, and maintain your physical and emotional health, so that you can be the healthiest version of yourself.
- Get in touch with old friends and maintain new friendships. Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there. Get on social media and catch up with old friends and relatives. Plan a fun night out to get reacquainted and look at old photos. Don’t just take a trip down memory lane, make new memories.
- Don’t let important words go unsaid. Don’t hold back when it comes to friends and loved ones. Make sure you tell them how you feel so that they always know.
- Don’t spend time arguing over petty things. It drags you down and often doesn’t move you closer to any kind of resolution. Don’t waste your time trying to bring others around to your way of thinking.
- Don’t spend your time criticizing how the younger generation lives. The world is changing and people are evolving with it. Just because they don’t do things the way you did, does not make their actions invalid. Everyone has his or her own path to follow.
- Don’t waste your time on negativity or jump too quickly to criticize others. Instead of gossiping about what “So and So” did, try to imagine why they behaved that way and see if you can understand their side of things.
- Don’t be boring. Someone once told me that only boring people are bored. Get out there and find a new hobby. This can be something as small as doing crossword puzzles, or something as adventurous as traveling to foreign countries. Just find new things to keep your life interesting.
- Don’t be afraid to try something new. Stop worrying what other people think, and do what makes you smile.
- Make someone else happy. It can take so little effort to spread joy to someone else. A small compliment made to a stranger or a helping hand you gave to someone else, however small, could change their entire day for the better. Those small actions can really make a big impact.
- Don’t skip the reunion – or the party or the dinner, etc. Go. Get out there and have fun. Don’t let insecurities, doubt, or negativity hold you back from reconnecting with people, staying active and enjoying life.
- Don’t dwell on the negatives of getting older. So your eyesight isn’t what it used to be. Your knee aches when it rains. These are normal signs of aging. Do the best you can with your circumstances and don’t let them hold you back.
- Life is too short to hold grudges or get easily offended. Forgive others when possible and remember that no one is perfect. We’ve all made mistakes. We’ve all said and done things we regret or that didn’t come out right. We’ve all had misunderstandings and have been misunderstood. Try to remember this as you interact with others, and don’t just expect them to behave perfectly.
- Forgive yourself, and don’t be too hard on yourself when you slip up. Each day, do your best to be a better version of yourself.
- Don’t worry about what others think of you – they probably aren’t spending their time thinking negative things about you anyway. Even if they were, who should feel badly about that behavior – you or them?
- When making decisions, don’t think about whether you will regret doing something. Think about if you will regret NOT doing it.
- Find and enjoy the humor, beauty and wonder of the world. Have your coffee on the patio on a summer morning, or enjoy a lazy walk through your favorite park at lunch. Sometimes the simple things can renew your zest for life and all it has to offer.
- Above all, follow your own path that makes you happy.
The Best of Life to You!
Contact: 248.855.5656 | email@example.com